BMO Named One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies for the Fourth Year in a Row
BMO has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies for the fourth consecutive year by Ethisphere, a global leader in defining and advancing the standards of ethical business practices. BMO is one of four Canadian companies, the only bank in Canada, and one of only five banks worldwide, to be recognized in 2021, affirming the bank’s commitment to support a thriving economy, sustainable future, and inclusive society.
“The global pandemic has presented significant economic and social challenges for our employees, customers and communities. As trusted stewards of the financial system and enablers of long-term growth, banks play a vital role in driving economic recovery. At BMO, we embrace our front-line role supporting the resilience of the communities we serve,” said Darryl White, Chief Executive Officer, BMO Financial Group. “Having our employees recognized for the fourth year in a row is a tribute to the ways they lead with empathy and adaptability as they serve the millions of people who count on us every day to achieve their financial goals. It reflects our fundamental belief in doing what’s right – consistently, equitably and sustainably. At BMO we sum it up in a simple statement of purpose that underpins everything we do: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life.”
The annual recognition honours companies with individuals and leaders who are diligently working to build a world-class program and advance an environment that is defined by integrity. It is an affirmation of the leadership of companies contributing to the greater good. This award highlights the ongoing importance of culture and a shift in the purpose of corporations showcasing the importance of broader stakeholders and sustainability.
In 2021, 135 honorees were recognized spanning 22 countries and 47 industries.
Beyond the World’s Most Ethical Companies recognition, BMO has recently received a growing list of notable achievements, including:
- Ranked 15th on the Wall Street Journal’s 2020 list of the 100 Most Sustainably Managed Companies in the World, third overall on Social Capital
- Ranked in the top 10% of banks globally on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index
- Top ranked North American bank on Corporate Knights 2021 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World
- Scored an A- on the 2020 CDP Climate Change Questionnaire
- Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (2020) for the sixth year in a row
- Forbes 2020 Best Employers for Diversity (United States)
- Corporate Knights 2020 Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada